When I hear the word “chia” I think of 2 things.
1: A terra cotta Mr. T head sprouting a green mohawk.
2: One of the best foods, seeds, and nutritional supplements you can eat or drink, that won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
So, let’s all get to know a few benefits of this amazing l’il seed…
• Chia seeds are a super dense & concentrated source of Omega 3’s (aka the must have fatty acid that gives you amazing, skin, hair, heart benefits, and aids in weight loss). It even has more than salmon. So unless you are a grizzly bear in Alaska hunting salmon in the river, this is the next best way to get solid dose of do-your-body-good Omegas.
• They help brain function, which…oh wait… I forgot what I was going to say.
• A great source of Anti Aging antioxidants. Being a beach bum I need all of those suckers I can get.
• The gel like consistency it makes when combined with water makes it a great substitute in baking for oil, butter, or eggs. Chia chocolate chip cookies anyone?
• Chia seeds absorb 12 times their weight in water and are loaded with fiber. Which is a winning combo for helping you feel full and, yeah I don’t need to elaborate on what fiber does. Let’s jsut say, it cleans.
• Loads of calcium, protein, folate, and potassium…and probably other good stuff I’m forgetting…(see second bullet point on brain function.)
Ok, so basically, Chia rocks, and is amazing for your bod. So here are a few delicious ways to consume them. I prefer to drink it. It’s delish and super quick & easy.
1: Chia Juice drink
Chia Gel, (I make a big tub of this. Combine 1/3 cup chia seeds and 3 cups water, mix up and let it sit overnight.)
Use 1/3 cup of chia getl, add Lime juice, juice of choice, and a splash of water. Chug away (pictured above. I drank it this morning.)
2: Chia Smoothie.
Make your smoothie as you normally do, but add a few tablespoons of raw Chia seeds or 1/3 cup chia gel…it will be more of a pudding consistency too. Which is snazzy.
3: Chia Fresca
Water, Chia Gel, Lime juice, Honey, Serve over Ice…add some mint of you’re feeling saucy.
4: Here’s a list of 40 more ideas here
Needless to say, I’m definitely on the Chia bandwagon. Might go buy a Chia Pet to show my support.
I bought mine at GetChia.com. 24 bucks. 3lb bag. Boom.