Motherhood. It’s one of the craziest things to sit down and actually try to talk about. I honestly have trouble writing about it, but I have no problem living it, loving it and learning from it each day (good ones and bad). But there are a few things that always help make sense of it all, or at least lighten the mood: 1: Calling my mom, and 2: Quotes or poems.
So, since you all can’t call and talk to my mom each day (Although she’d probably totally be up for it and thoroughly enjoy it) I rounded up a few wise words that either nailed it, say what I’m thinking, or just made me laugh. Laughs are good.
Here we go…
• Of all the versions of me that I’ve been, I think the hot-mess mama who’s head over heels love with her kids, totally winging it and not giving AF what others think is by far my favorite ~ @MacGyveringMom22
• Just when you think you know love, something little comes along to remind you just how big it really is. ~ Found all over Pinterest on cute little letter boards.
• When I’m with them I dream of peace, crave silence, fantasize about beaches, fruity drinks, the only sound being the sea lapping frothily against the sand. But only a few hours into my solitude, my heart begins rumbling its hunger and my body aches to have their small bodies against mine, feel my lips on their buttery cheeks. What kind of madness is this.” – Poems on the hot mess of motherhood by Bunmi Laditan
• Mother: the most beautiful word on the lips of mankind. ~ Kahil Gibran
• You know your life has changed when going to the grocery store by your self is a vacation. ~Burt’s Bees
• Life doesn’t come with a manual. It comes with a mother. ~ Author Unknown
• Just taking the time to “wonder” if you are being a good mom makes you a great one. ~ Instagram Comment someone told me
• On days when I wonder if I’m doing a good job at being a Mom, I tell myself, “at least he knows to still go to the beach when it rains.” ~ Me
• There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
• If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? ~Milton Berle
• Mom — the person most likely to write an autobiography and never mention herself. ~Robert Brault
• To be honest, I’m just winging it. Life, motherhood, my eyeliner. Everything. ~ Someone brilliant
• A mom’s hug lasts long after she lets go. ~Author Unknown
• Some Days I slay motherhood. Other Days I realize I’ve had a dinosaur sticker on my ass all day. ~Someecards
• I see all these moms who can do everything, and I think…I should have them do some stuff for me. ~ This sucker is ALL over Pinterest.
• Having children just puts the whole world into perspective. Everything else just disappears. ~ Kate Winslet
• Don’t worry, any mom out there who makes it look easy is also known to spontaneously cry at movie trailers and Ed Sheeran songs. ~ Me
• I’m tired. I’m also tired of being tired. I also realize one day I will get all the sleep I want because my kids won’t live here anymore, which makes me sad. Chocolate please. ~ Bunmi Laditan (Gosh I Love her!)
• Silence is golden. Unless you have a toddler, then it’s just suspicious. ~ muminanutshell.com
• In the end, I’m the only one who can give my children a happy mother who loves life. ~ Janene Wolsey Baadagard
…and my favorite advice on Motherhood from my mom: When I asked her how she managed raising us four kids, her answer? “I just did it. And we had a lot of fun”
Was that 20, or at least close? I think it was.
Happy Mothers day to all the Mamas out there. Cheers to you today, and every other day this year.
*Have any quotes/wise words you love, would love to hear them. The more the merrier when it comes to this Mama stuff.