This was a fun one.
A Goldfish Kiss fan, Miriam, contacted me and was wondering if I could take a bikini from Target a friend gave her and spruce it up for her for an upcoming trip to Costa rice. I gladly accepted the challenge…only to find out Miriam is TINY and this bikini would’ve been gigantic on me (what can I say, I’m tall, and probably twice her size). So she was going to be surfing in Costa Rica in this suit. Well…a too big triangle top & side ties bikini for surfing…well you might as well surf naked. So with some strategic snips, knots and ruching, we got this bikini to fit, and it turned out pretty darn cute.
Here’s what I did:
For the bottoms:
1. Cut a tiny hole on each side of the bottoms, on the side right before where the ties start.
2. string one side of the ties through the hole on the other side, the other tie through the other side. You know, like how shoe laces go. Tie in a loose bow, and you can tighten or loosen when you put them on.
3. Turn the bottoms inside out, and fold in half length wise. Draw a line down the fold. This will be your guide for ruching.
4. Grab a needle and thread and ruche the bottoms. These bottoms were huge, so I ruched a lot.
Bottoms. Done. Smaller and tighter. High five.
For the Top:
1: Draw a horizontal line at the top tip of the triangle top, making sure the lines are at the same height on each side.
2. Using sharp scissors, cut out that space at the top…basically like this bikini facelift, but simplified.
3. To make the top smaller, tie a knot on the top and outside strings where they meet the bikini top, making sure to have a little bit of the fabric from the actual part that covers your boob. This makes the cup smaller without having to sew. Works like a charm.
I got a report from Miriam (along with some delish homemade banana muffins as a thank you, that I devoured)…The verdict? The bottoms stay put and she’s been wearing it a bunch.
…judging by the looks of it. I think she’s pretty happy.