One Holiday tradition I have, is wrangling up the fam and attempting to get a group shot…using auto timer. Having an impatient husband, an extremely exuberant puppy, and a squirming toddler in the crew (last year it was a crying baby. Equally as photogenic), I’m realizing this feat is nearly impossible.
But I still love the outings, attempting to nail the shot, and when it comes down to it, just spending time at my favorite place, with the ones who fill up my heart, is what it’s all about.
So, first off here are some of the pics. Aka outtakes that aren’t auto timer group shots. Here’s one auto timer group shot in there just for kicks. Levi’s hair is covering his face, I’m not looking at the camera, my husband still looks handsome (as usual), and Kili ran off out of the frame. Winning.
But really, we really are winning. Because this time of year isn’t about being perfect, and stressing out over to-dos and the perfect picture. It’s about quality time with the ones you love. And just, you know, breathing, feeling alive, laughing, connecting, and being festive, yet at peace.
So, on that note, I wanted to share a few random thoughts that totally help me do that. (I even made it into a little memo at the end of the post that you can print out or share as a little reminder during the next month or so.)
Here we go…
• It is perfectly normal to binge watch Holiday Rom coms. In fact, it’s encouraged. Same with Christmas Vacation, which I have memorized. At times I feel like I am part Griswold.
• There’s nothing wrong with a home made gift or something that doesn’t cost a fortune. They kind of are the cream of the crop. Less is more. And really, it seems like nowadays we all are just craving time to connect, undivided attention, and love.
• If you have one MUST DO – Make it to volunteer somewhere, pay it forward, or do random acts of kindness as much as humanly possible. There’s no better way to feel great, and totally embrace the Holiday spirit than doing something for someone else. Winston Churchill said it best, “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
• Party dresses, sequins and looking all dolled up get all the buzz, but let’s face it. ’Tis the season for comfy clothes (Ahem, Spiritual Gangster), top knots, warm beverages, and slippers.
• One of my favorite things about this time of year is how many ways you can break the routine, or monotony of life. It’s the season of spontaneity. Meet a friend for a saucy holiday coffee (no phones allowed unless you are showing off pictures or looking at puppy videos) bundle up and go for an impromptu beach walk, make any excuse known to mankind to go surf, get as much hot yoga in as possible. You get the point.
• The beach is magical this time of year. Whether it’s cold where you are, or tropical. There’s just something in the air. Like it has molecular twinkle lights in it or something. I try to get out to it as much as possible.
• …don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get a perfect picture for your Holiday card. And just end up posting a fuzzy group selfie somewhere. Even if your kiddo still wont look at the camera.
There you go.
And here’s the memo.
Find peace. Spread joy, and embrace the oh so merry imperfections of this beautiful season.
**A HUGE thank you to Spiritual Gangster for sponsoring this post. Also thank you for all the gear that we got to rock in our pics.